Gå direkt till textinnehållet Gå direkt till navigationen
Webbplatsen kan inte läsas in korrekt

Se till att du använder en rekommenderad webbläsare. Är så redan fallet, försök besöka oss igen om en stund.

Rekommenderade webbläsare

Apply for a pension

There is no fixed retirement age in Sweden, so your pension will not be paid out to you automatically. You must apply yourself when you want to start withdrawing it. 

You can apply for a pension from the month in which your application is submitted to the Swedish Pensions Agency. Pension cannot be applied for retroactively. You apply for a pension on our website with an e-ID that is approved in Sweden. Under the heading Apply for a national public pension if you live in another country, you can read about other rules that may apply to you if you do not live in Sweden.

Apply for a national public pension on My pages (in Swedish)

You can also use the form to apply for a pension

Withdrawal of a general pension

At the earliest, you can withdraw your national public pension from the month you turn 62. You can work while you withdraw your national public pension. You have the right to work until the age of 68, although if you and your employer are in agreement, you can continue to work for even longer. When you apply, you decide whether you want to withdraw your full pension, or a part of it, per month. You also decide whether you want to receive your premium pension from the same time as the rest of your national public pension.

Later retirement may give you a higher pension

The later you retire, the higher your pension may be. The reason for this is that have more time to earn towards your pension if you continue working, and that you are expected to be a pensioner for a shorter period of time.

Apply well in advance

Apply for your pension two months before you want to start withdrawing it. If you have lived outside Sweden, you should apply six months before you want to start withdrawing it. When you submit your application, you will receive a decision from us around the 20th of the month before the first month of payment.

How the pension is paid out

The Swedish Pensions Agency pays your national public pension once a month. If you are receiving a survivor’s pension, housing supplement or financial support for the elderly, these benefits are paid at the same time.

Keep in mind that some occupational pensions are paid out automatically when you reach the age of 65, while you need to apply for other occupational pensions. Contact your occupational pension company to find out what applies to you.

Tax and pension

If you withdraw your entire national public pension from the Swedish Pensions Agency, we will make a tax deduction according to the tax table that applies to your municipality. If you withdraw your occupational pension at the same time, 30 percent will be deducted from your occupational pensions.

If you only withdraw part of your pension, we will deduct 30% tax because we then estimate that we are not paying out the majority of your total income and we will therefore only deduct 30 percent. Your employer or other payer should then deduct tax according to the table.

From the year you turn 66, you will pay less tax on your pension than you are when you are younger. The lower tax from the age of 66 applies regardless of when you choose to start taking out your pension.

For pensioners

Apply for a national public pension when you live in another country

If you have worked and paid taxes in Sweden, you have earned a Swedish pension. You are entitled to this even if you choose to live in another country as a pensioner.

If you are resident outside Sweden, in an EEA country or in Switzerland (the EEA is the EU countries as well as Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein), you must apply to the pension authority in the country where you reside.

If you live outside the EEA or Switzerland, you must apply for a Swedish pension yourself by using a form. You also need to include a life certificate as we only have access to Swedish population registers. Sweden has signed social security agreements with a number of countries outside the EEA, these agreements can affect which pension you receive and which country you should apply from. Contact customer service if you have questions regarding what applies to the country you live in.

Form for applying for a Swedish pension if you live outside Sweden

You should apply for the Swedish pension at least six months before you want your first monthly payment.

More about pension when you move from or live outside Sweden