Gå direkt till textinnehållet Gå direkt till navigationen
Webbplatsen kan inte läsas in korrekt

Se till att du använder en rekommenderad webbläsare. Är så redan fallet, försök besöka oss igen om en stund.

Rekommenderade webbläsare

Your pension when you move from or live outside Sweden

If you have worked in Sweden, you have the right to receive a Swedish national public pension even if you live outside Sweden.

You may not be able to keep your full pension, depending on which parts of your pension you have and which country you live in. In order to keep your Swedish pension when you live outside Sweden, you must send us a life certificate every year.

You will keep your income-based pension regardless of where you move

You will keep your income pension, premium pension and supplementary pension regardless of the country you move to or live in.

Guarantee pension when you move

You are not entitled to a guarantee pension when you live outside Sweden. If you have a guarantee pension for adjustment pension, the same rules apply as for the guarantee pension for the national public pension.

Income pension complement when you move

The income pension complement is paid as a supplement to the national public pension. The income pension complement can be paid if you live in Sweden or within the EEA or Switzerland (EEA is the EU countries as well as Norway, Iceland and Lichtenstein) or a country which Sweden has signed social security agreements with. Income pension complement

Housing supplement and financial support for the elderly will end if you move abroad

If you move abroad you are no longer entitled to housing supplement and financial support for the elderly. You are only entitled to these benefits if you reside in Sweden. The housing supplement and financial support for the elderly

Longer or regular stays in other countries may affect your right to a pension, housing supplement and financial support for the elderly

Even if you do not plan to move from Sweden, longer and/or regular stays outside Sweden may affect where you are considered a resident according to the Swedish Pensions Agency. As a result, your rights to a pension and other benefits may be affected. Please contact customer service for more information.

Change address when residing in other countries

You must report if you move to a new address in countries outside Sweden. It is important that the Swedish Pensions Agency has your current address in order for us to be able to send payment statements and a life certificate. Please send your address and Swedish personal identity number or co-ordination number in a signed letter to:

SE-839 77 Östersund

You can also report a change of address by email. Please send a signed letter with your Swedish personal identity number or co-ordination number and your current address to: international@pensionsmyndigheten.se

Tax for those living outside Sweden

A pension from Sweden is taxable. If you live in another country and have a pension from Sweden, you must normally pay special income tax for non-residents (SINK). Decisions on tax deductions are made by the Swedish Tax Agency and you must apply for special income tax for non-residents at the Swedish Tax Agency.

We recommend that you apply for special income tax when you apply for your Swedish pension, that is, about six months before you wish to start withdrawing your pension. Remember to send your information on tax from The Swedish Tax Agency to us to ensure we deduct your taxes accordingly.

If you have several pension payers in Sweden, they are taxed independently with individual tax decisions. You are responsible for ensuring that enough tax is deducted on your total income.

The special income tax is calculated on your monthly amount after the deduction of a free amount. The free amount corresponds to the basic deduction that you can receive if you are taxed with preliminary tax. You therefore only pay tax on the part of the pension that exceeds the free amount, which usually is 25 percent. Your pension is taxed only to the extent that it exceeds 1/12 of the 0.77 price base amounts each month. The free amount is set each year by the government.

Avoid paying double tax

Sweden has agreements with many countries that regulate where to pay taxes for your Swedish pension. This means that you should not have to pay tax on your Swedish pension both in Sweden and in the country where you live. If you have questions about tax deductions on pension when residing outside Sweden, please contact the Swedish Tax Agency.

Life certificate

If you live outside Sweden and receive payments from the Swedish Pensions Agency or the Swedish Social Insurance Agency you need to submit a life certificate every year. The reason for this is that we need to get the right information about you so that we can ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to. Life certificate

Payment of your pension to another country

You can choose to have your pension paid to your Swedish bank account or to a bank account in another country. The money is sent on the same day as payments are made to Swedish accounts, usually on the 18th and 19th of each month. A bank transfer within Europe with correct IBAN and SWIFT takes about three to five banking days. Bank transfers outside of Europe may take a few more days.

A fee may be charged from the recipient bank before the money is deposited into your account.The Swedish Pensions Agency will pay your pension in the currency preselected for the country you live in, if a different currency is to be used, you can contact our customer service. It is important to ensure that your bank can receive the payment in the currency you may want to change to in these cases.

If you want to change to a Swedish bank account and have an e-ID that is approved in Sweden, the easiest way to do this is on our website by logging in. If you are not able to log in, you can order a form online or through customer service.

If you you have a bank account outside of Sweden and want to change your bank account, you need to order a form by contacting our customer services.

Foreign-related questions

If you have any other questions, please contact us.

Phone: +46 498-200 700
Email: international@pensionsmyndigheten.se